Thursday, March 6, 2008

Wave of Nostalgia

Today I had a trip down Memory Lane at the Idaho Falls Airport. Just barely two years ago (2 years and two weeks, but who's counting?) I came home from my mission. And today, Elder Tyler Andersen came home from his mission in Texas. I don't think I have been inside the IF airport since I came home and it was weird to walk inside and think about what has happened since I have been home. As we waited for Tyler to come down that escalator, I told his mom, my Aunt Linda, that coming home was the worst thing that ever happened to me. And then I started to cry. I know, sad, huh?

Seriously, I am so glad that I went on a mission. I have never been more happy in my whole life--not ever. I know, it sounds crazy that when you are so far from your family, living this crazy strict life, knocking doors all day long, getting rejected constantly and dealing with all the stuff that missionaries have to deal with--and yet I was so happy. Being a missionary was the best thing I ever did--it was the hardest but the most rewarding. I learned so much about myself and the gospel. So even though I have a great life now, I think I will always think back on my mission and miss that pure joy that I got to feel. I guess I just felt a wave of nostalgia today, remembering what it was like to take that missionary mantle off and become Becki again...but never forgetting my time as Hermana Campbell.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You look so great in this picture. I love it! My husband has been home from his mission to El Salvador for just over 6 years and he still has days all the time like you did today. Sometimes I wish I went also so I could experience all the joys that everybody talks about having. Its amazing to see such pure love for another group of people as the RMs around me do. I love hearing about mission experiences!