Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day four-five-ish

Today I had the opportunity of going to YW and speaking with the girls about my mission. It made me just a little homesick for that name tag and skirt and my tiny waist. But mainly it made me homesick for the things I experienced and the way they changed my life for the better.

Meet Inez--one of the poorest yet happiest people on the earth. One night my companion and I were feeling kind of down because we had knocked doors for days on end without much success. We were both brand new in the area and we decided we would visit some members in the ward to try to get to know them better. We picked Inez's house thinking that we would be able to cheer her up.

She let us into her home which was a one room apartment she rented. It was spotless and every inch was used to it's fullest. Her couch was actually a bed rolled under a back rest and her tiny kitchen was also the living room/bedroom. She offered us all she had, strawberry banana milk made with powdered milk. This sweet sister worked in the feria (street market) and was so poor. Yet that night she taught us a huge lesson about love and happiness. She shared her testimony with us and I will never forget how strong the spirit was as she shared her simple words. I will never forget her though she may have long forgotten me and that delicious milk she made us.




Do you want meet someone else? This is Andres. I am now unofficially a part of his family. Andres has been a faithful member ever since his baptism. He has been a member 5 1/2 years now and he is currently serving on the high council in his stake. A few months after he was baptized his brand new home caught on fire while the family was at church. Many people would take that harshly and have a hard time staying in the gospel. Not Andres. His ward turned the damage into a service project and within a week they had repainted, re carpeted, and repaired all of the damage. I was able to attend their sealing as a family and they were able to attend my sealing to Pablo. What amazing examples to me they are!






I am so grateful for the opportunity that I had to serve a mission. It has truly changed my life for the better in so many different ways. If it hadn't of been for one particular elder who had the patience to teach an 18 year old, I wouldn't be married for time and all eternity to the man of my dreams! I heart missionary work!

1 comment:

'T' said...

well, how fun was that to see some of your mission!?